I listed observations I made during my stay in Odense music library between 9th of May – 13th of may 2017.
Pictures from left to right: shadowing Lene Jonassen and Claus Vinther Jensen.
- Music library is moving from it’s own building to the same building as the main library.
Trello.com tool is being used in the process to help the staff organize things.
- The location of Odense music library has changed several times during recent years.
- New library system Fælles coming up.
- Music library services are visible in the building exterior: symbols on banners and illuminated advertisement.
- Colors are used to identify the genres in cd capsules: yellow for folk, white for pop/rock, green for blues etc.
- Cd collection is vast: over 100 000 titles.
- The team leader tells that cd format will make a return as a popular customer format in near future.
- The deleted items from the collection are being sold to customers.
- The cds of the bands and artist coming to town are on display.
- Co-operation with local live music venues and festivals.
- The first impression of the staff: high motivation and professionalism.
- Seven regular staff members and many staff members from other libraries work at he music library.
- When not on customer service desk, staff works in large open-plan office.
- Three customer service computers and at least two staff members on the service desk all times.
- Helpers are putting the materials to the shelves during the day.
- Music library staff members are concentrating on customer service, collecting the reserved items and helping at the studio and morphing the space for different kinds of events.
- Inter-library loans are free and very common.
- Direct link from the library system to find the item from another city library.
- 10 computers for customers in the library hall.
- Soundproof studio room is custom build in the center of the music library hall.
- Studio services available in Danish library system since the 80’s.
- One staff member is main the responsible for helping customers at the studio and taking care the annual studio budget.
- Customers can book the studio by calling the library or on the spot.
- On the first studio booking “help” is marked on the studio calendar, customer gets guiding.
- Customers can book the studio if they cave library card.
- Studio is checked in the morning and the power is on until library closes.
- Customers have no access to the studio computer.
- No Internet connection in the studio.
- Pro Tools software, Mac hardware.
- Two electric guitars, electric bass, acoustic guitar, electric piano, electric drums, mics at the studio.
- Usb memory sticks and cd-rs for sale a the library.
- Zero tolerance for misbehavior at the studio premises.
- “Library Live” & “Library Live Recording” concepts are linked to the library studio.
- Stage for live performances and events outside the studio.
- Equipment for live audio and lighst available.
- Storage room for technical equipment is important for the staff.
- Roland silent band room is open for customers without reservation. Electric drums, electric guitar, electric bass, electric piano, electric piano.
- Floor lamps and over all cosy feeling and vibe all over the library.
- “17:17” live music concept: live music provided my the local music school every Wednesday at 17:17 o’clock.
- Events organised by the university may continue past the library open hours.
- Acoustic guitars and ukuleles for customers to loan out.
- Portable LP-players coming up for customers to loan out.
- “Library is one of the last places where you get quality service free of charge.”.
Pictures from left: Kajsa Vala live at Dexter live music club, music albums are played at the Odense music library, smile.
– Harri Pikka
Vantaa city library
music and media